Sunday, March 17, 2013

Wonders of modern chemistry part 12

Had my first episode of nausea. I guess this is a milestone. Given that I was sent home with two separate anti-nausea medications, I have been waiting for this.

Vomited a very small amount and feel OK now. Called the Oncology Ward at the hospital for advice on medications. They advised that I take Metoclopramide (they called it Maxolon which confused me because the brand name on my packaging is Pramin) immediately, which I did, and will start taking them regularly 1/2 hour before meals.

The other drug they sent me home with is Ondansetron - advice is to only use that one if Metoclopramide is not effective.

5 comments:

AndrewX said...

And in one brief comment, yet another insight into the semiotic chaos of modern medicine...

I tell you, if the programmer of this page thinks that a robot could produce my pithy dialogue then ... oh, right, a programmer. Delete verb "thinks".

I always think there's some trap in the use of the word "words" in the capcha. visupge, and 3656 - when did they get promoted to the dictionary?

AndrewX said...

I have no idea if the previous comment worked. If it did, Blogger is even worse than I thought. If it didn't Blogger is even worse than I thought, also.

No wonder no-one comments on mine.

Jon Hilton said...

Yes Andrew, it is both as bad and worse than you thought. I am moderating so need to authorise before your comment is published. Strange that you are not told this when you enter the comment...

Jon Hilton said...

BTW forgot to comment on your comment...yes, the semiotic chaos of modern medicine was preceded much earlier by seemingly deliberate semiotic pollution with an elitist terminology that a cynic would suggest was designed to create such chaos and thereby maintain closely held control of a lucrative profession.

This history makes the notion of "semantic interoperability" - often expressed as one of the benefits of the "holy grail" - a ludicrous fiction at best and a cynical attempt to maintain a power base at worst.

Anonymous said...

Pharmacopaeia required! I have trouble distinguising Neurofen from Panadol.
Hope you are feeling OK today, Jon.

Mary Ann